Is anyone else a true fall fan at heart? Though I now reside in Fort Lauderdale, FL, I miss the cool weather, and all things fall that occur in my home state of New York. My favorite thing about fall is that it is also squash season, and I go crazy in my kitchen making pumpkin smoothies, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bread, and—you guessed it—pumpkin spice lattes. There are only a few things more comforting than venturing outside on a cool fall day with a cozy cup of spicy, pumpkin-smelling coffee. Need I say more?
Though it is easier to run through the drive-through and get your PSL fix, those daily visits can weigh down your wallet. Here are a few tricks to enjoying a warm cup all season long without breaking the bank:
1. Bring your own cup
If you’re eco-conscious AND looking for some savings, you will be happy to learn that Starbucks is now accepting reusable mugs! After a long hiatus, you can now bring your own mug in for a $0.10 discount on your order (including tasty pumpkin spice lattes!). Be sure that your mug is clean and that you ask for the discount in-store—there is no drive-thru option. You can even purchase reusable mugs in-store. I am absolutely in love with my pink and purple ceramic travel mug from Starbucks!
2. Get CashBack on gift cards
If you’re savvy enough to pre-purchasing your pumpkin spice lattes ahead of time, why not get cashback for it? Next time you place an online order on Target or Walmart, be sure to shop through Rakuten and get cashback on those Starbucks and Dunkin gift cards!
3. Make your latte at home
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (you can make this at home!)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or sub milk of choice)
1. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla.
2. Whisk in the almond milk and thoroughly heat the mixture. Do not let the milk boil!
3. Use an electric hand mixer or frother to aerate the milk in the saucepan. This will create a creamy, frothy texture for the latte. The more bubbles, the better!
4. Divide brewed coffee between two mugs. Use a ladle to pour the heated milk mixture from the saucepan into each mug. Add some whipped cream on top if desired. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy these tips and tricks for enjoying your pumpkin spice lattes all season long—even on a budget!
About the Author
Danielle Pierce is a first-grade teacher, adjunct writing professor, and copywriter. She began as an intern for Decocrated during summer 2021. Danielle is an avid equestrian, and when she is not prepping for her classes or writing blogs for Decocrated, you can probably find her at the barn.