Picture this: it is a cold winter night. You are just about finished with some Christmas planning. Maybe you spent the night wrapping gifts, planning out your Christmas dinner menu, or decorating with Decocrated’s Christmas 2021 box. The fireplace is crackling and you have a blanket wrapped around you to keep away the chills. What could go better with this scene than a warm cup of hot chocolate?
Homemade hot chocolate is incredibly easy to make and takes a few minutes to whip up. You may even have most of your ingredients on hand already! Skip the pre-packaged mix and try your hand at this homemade recipe.
Ingredients (makes 1 serving)
- 1 ½ cups milk (regular or dairy-free)
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Optional toppings: marshmallows or whipped cream
1. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, heat your milk. Do not let the milk boil-- you want it warm and steamy.
2. Add the cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla, and sprinkle of cinnamon.
3.Whisk the ingredients together until well-combined. The cocoa powder should not clump together!
4. Pour into a mug, add your toppings, and enjoy! PS- for a more adult-friendly version, you can also turn your hot chocolate into a nightcap.
We hope you enjoy this simple and cozy treat this winter!
About the Author
Danielle Pierce is a first-grade teacher, adjunct writing professor, and copywriter. She began as an intern for Decocrated during summer 2021. Danielle is an avid equestrian, and when she is not prepping for her classes or writing blogs for Decocrated, you can probably find her at the barn.